The Guardian reported that Twitter has acknowledged it gave a fake Cormac McCarthy account, labeled “CormacMcCrthy,” the blue check mark, which is meant to verify that an account of public interest is authentic. McCarthy, author of The Road, No Country for Old Men, and other works including plays, is known to be reclusive. The fake account managed to gain verification without the usual requirement of either uploading valid ID or proving that an official website links to the account.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- George R.R. Martin Would Like You To Stop Speculating About His Death
- Raymond Briggs, Author of THE SNOWMAN, Dies at 88
- The Bennet House from the 1995 Pride and Prejudice is for Sale!
- Award-Winning Popular Historian David McCullough Dies at 89
- $90M Batgirl Movie Canceled
- Library Stormed by Proud Boys During Drag Queen Story Hour Starts Year of “Every Month is Pride” Events
- New Survey Shows How Americans’ Reading Habits Changed from Childhood
- Man Sentenced to 16 Years for $3M Book Scam
- Sell Books in Paradise: Luxury Resort Hiring “Barefoot Bookseller”
- Barack Obama’s 2022 Summer Reading List