The Guardian reported that Twitter has acknowledged it gave a fake Cormac McCarthy account, labeled “CormacMcCrthy,” the blue check mark, which is meant to verify that an account of public interest is authentic. McCarthy, author of The Road, No Country for Old Men, and other works including plays, is known to be reclusive. The fake account managed to gain verification without the usual requirement of either uploading valid ID or proving that an official website links to the account.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- The Best Audiobooks of 2023, According to AudioFile
- The Best-Selling Indie Books of the Year, According to Bookshop.org
- The 10 Best Books of 2023, According to the New York Times
- Most Parents Rank Librarians as Trustworthy in New Parental Perceptions of Librarians Survey
- The Bestselling Books of the Week, According to All the Lists
- The 2023 Booker Prize Winner Announced
- This is the Word of the Year, According to Merriam-Webster
- NPR’s Best Books of the Year
- Huge Libro.fm Audiobook Sale
- The 100 Notable Books of 2023, According to the New York Times