CRITICAL LINKING: January 10, 2012

Our daily round-up of bookish links. Tastes great with coffee.

__________________________

“The students who come out of school without jobs aren’t, for the most part, starry-eyed liberal arts majors but rather people who thought a degree in business, graphic design or nursing was a practical, job-oriented credential.”

That’s because starry-eyed liberal majors will work for peanuts in the arts.

____________________________

“…absolutely nothing – says understated cool (always the coolest cool) like a well-thumbed copy of A Confederacy of Dunces.”

I haven’t found this to be true. Maybe I should cool it with the “Hot dogs, ladies” though.

____________________________

“Nevada is the only state that allows legal prostitution, and there are two dozen licensed brothels in the state, but none are sci fi-themed, yet.”

That “yet” is devastating. The Do Androids ***** Electric Sheep Room? should be interesting.

____________________________

But the vast majority of books exhaust their commercial potential relatively quickly — when the copyright term came in renewable terms of 28 years, copyrights for 93% of books were not renewed. A Congressional Research Service study found that only 2% of works between 55 and 75 years old continue to retain commercial value. For the other 98% of works, there is no benefit at all from continued copyright protection.

We are the 98%.

____________________________

 

Sign up to Today In Books to receive daily news and miscellany from the world of books
Do you like podcasts like This American Life, RadioLab, or Planet Money? Annotated is kinda like those, but for books. Go here to find out more, or click the image below:
VIEW COMMENTS