Reese’s Book Club announced its late summer 2021 YA pick: The Downstairs Girl by Stacey Lee.
Described as “the perfect end-of-summer escape” in the club’s Instagram announcement, The Downstairs Girl is YA historical fiction set in the post-Civil War (“New”) South. The story follows 17-year-old Jo Kuan who works as a lady’s maid in Atlanta by day and as the author of newspaper advice column, “Dear Miss Sweetie,” by night. Jo is faced with backlash and attempts to uncover her identity when she challenges ideas about race and gender in her popular column as a mysterious letter sends her on a search for her past and parents.
Those interested in reading along are asked to purchase the book through the book club’s app. Purchases made through the app will go to literacy platform The Readership.
You can find all of Reese’s Book Club picks here.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- Teens in Pennsylvania Created a Fundraiser to Counteract Book Banning
- 8 Year Old Published Book About How A Turtle Got Its Shell
- Percy Jackson Author Speaks Out Against Racist Complaints Over Casting
- A Pennsylvania School District’s Proposed Book Challenge Policy is Plagiarized From Texas’s
- The Winners of the 2022 Pulitzer Prize Have Been Announced
- Boston Public Library Is Now Hosting 1-Hour Wedding Ceremonies for $200
- WNDB Campaign to Send Care Packages to LGBTQIA+ Kids and How You Can Help
- Florida Public School Cancels Free Online Math and Reading Services Because of Bill
- Meet the Stars of Percy Jackson and the Olympians on Disney+
- Here’s the New Trailer for Game of Thrones Spin-Off House of the Dragon