Colin Kaepernick is releasing a YA graphic memoir that will be based on his high school years. The former Super Bowl quarterback and activist who started the publishing imprint Kaepernick Publishing in 2019 is the author of the bestselling children’s book I Color Myself Different.
The new graphic memoir will be his first young adult book and will be titled Colin Kaepernick: Change the Game. It will be co-written with Eve L. Ewing and illustrated by Orlando Caicedo. It will follow a young Kaepernick as a high school senior who seems to have his path laid out clearly before him.
He’s been scouted by colleges and the Major League Baseball, but feels like baseball isn’t his calling. He longs to be among other athletes that are like him, and sets out to play for the NFL despite note having any offers.
The book will be published by Scholastic Graphix on March 7, 2023.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- 2022 Boston Globe–Horn Book Award Winners
- George M. Johnson Announced as Honorary Chair of Banned Books Week
- Malorie Blackman Wins PEN Pinter Prize for “Unflinching” Writing
- LGBTQ Book Sales Surge in U.S., Especially in YA
- Persuasion Trailer Starring Dakota Johnson Shows New Take on Jane Austen Classic
- The Best LGBTQ Books of the Year, According to Lambda Literary
- 72 of the Most Popular New Books on Goodreads Right Now
- NYPL is Giving Away 500,000 Free Books This Summer!
- LeVar Burton Calls National Increase in Book Bans “Embarrassing”
- Audiobook Sales Up for 10th Straight Year