I admit it, I’m a fiend for finding apps that make my life easier. Since getting the iPad (and now the newest iPhone), I’m on a hunt for apps that I’ll use often. I don’t want to clutter my devices with anything that won’t be used on a consistent basis, but I do want to utilize technology to make my life more organized, easy, and fun. Since I’m a reading fool, it makes sense that I enjoy scouting out great apps to make my reading life easier (for magazines, newspapers, and books). OverDrive was the first of my bookish treasures uncovered, and it is very, very useful, but I knew there had to be more. So My Obsessive Self (the one that comes out when I want-something-right-now-or-I’ll-have-a-fit, and some would describe as my 3 year-old side) decided it
needed wanted some new useful bookish apps – I set off (and by “setting off” I mean I plopped my butt down on my cozy couch under a warm blanket, and picked up my favorite toy — a.k.a. my phone) to find what I was desiring.
The second thing that happens to me after My Obsessive Self (hereafter referred to as MOS) attacks, is that it wants to share its findings with anyone who will sit still long enough to listen (or read) about these discoveries. MOS has found shoes, accessories, clothes, THE PERFECT BOOK, and other “unfindable” things for many-a-friends who aren’t as, well, let’s call it “inspired,” shall we?, as MOS. And today, MOS is sharing the four bookish apps you need to have right now. You’re welcome.
This free app was developed by American Booksellers Association and connects you to IndieBound.
- Location guide for Indie bookstores
- Indie lists (i.e. Indie Next List, Indie Bestseller List)
- Mark favorites for later
- Browse books
- Purchase e-books
- Buy books online from Indie bookstores across the United States
- Finds local bookstores, libraries, bookish places, and book events around where you are located.
- Search books
- View book details and synopsis
- Save books to wish list
- Share price comparisons via e-mail
- Barnes and Noble
- many, many more…
- Access to your group’s discussions
- Barcode scanner: to scan books into your read, to-read, or currently reading lists
- Read e-books that are available on the site
- Rate and review books
- Add status updates and page number updates for books you are reading
- Browse your own GoodReads bookshelves and those of friends
- See book updates and reviews from friends
- View literary events near you