Kickstart This: The First All-Trans Comics Anthology
The representation of trans people in the media has steadily increased over the last few years, but finding trans stories in comic books is remarkably hard. A new anthology containing only trans creators and stories promises to start closing this representation gap.
We’re Still Here, edited by Tara Avery and Jeanne Thorton, promises to have fifty-five stories by fifty-five different writers and illustrators. The anthology will contain both fiction and non-fiction stories, and is being crowdfunded on Kickstarter. A remarkable sampling of stories is listed in the Kickstarter page:
- An evening discussing the terrors of Donald Trump at a Japanese bar for trans men
- A trans woman uses MDMA (with complex results)
- A trans woman visits her grandmother for Christmas (with complex results)
- Visual essay on sex work, trans masculinity, and testosterone
- A practical guide to using paganism to navigate workplace terror
- Trans women pilot giant robots with impeccable synch ratios
- Toxic masculinity haunts a friendship between a butch lesbian and trans man
- A devotional essay about angels beyond gender or understanding
- Two trans women named Sweetness and Lightning blow up a car, watch Akira, and live happily ever after
In addition to adding trans representation to the comics genre, this anthology looks really, really cool. They even have a short sample of the stories in gray scale (the printed paperback will be printed in full color) that you can peruse before you decide to back the project for a copy.