Though Justin Timberlake’s tribute at the Super Bowl to late musician Prince was ill-advised, author Amber Sparks told a story on Twitter that almost made up for it. Apparently her young son confused Prince of Purple Rain fame with the Little Prince from Antoine de Saint-Exupéry’s book.
— Jules on the verge (@pennypyro) February 4, 2018
(Now I’m near weeping too, Amber.)
Which made me wonder, what would The Little Prince have been like with Prince as the eponymous character? Here is how I think it would have gone:
- The little prince said, “When you’ve finished washing and dressing each morning, you must tend your planet.” Purple Prince would have tended it while wearing…purple. Obviously.
- Prince wouldn’t have asked the narrator to draw a sheep, but he might have been on board with a drawing of a boa…as long as it was a feathered one.
- If Prince did ask someone to draw him a sheep, he would have been a perfectionist about it. If it takes 1,800 sheep iterations to create the perfect sheep, then you had better make 1,800 sheep iterations.
- When looking at Prince, people would agree that “In the face of an overpowering mystery, you don’t dare disobey.”
- For a little while, “no one had believed him on account of the way he dressed,” but people would have gotten over that very quickly.
- The world would still agree that if you spot Prince here again, you shouldn’t let us all go on being sad; instead, “send word immediately that he has come back…”