Barnes & Noble Opening 30 Stores in 2023, Leading Big Real Estate Wave
Barnes & Noble has a plan to open 30 stores in 2023, making the bookseller the leader in what’s being called a big-box revival. This expansion comes after more than a decade of shrinking its numbers in response to competition from Amazon. There are even a couple of the new stores being opened in the Boston area that are, perhaps fittingly, going to be in locations previously occupied by Amazon Books.
Expansion this size is possible because of a strengthened interest in books and reading that came as a result of the pandemic — more people read because they were stuck at home, and Barnes & Noble locations were able to improve stores while they were closed.
At its peak in 2008, Barnes & Noble had 726 locations throughout the U.S., but now has 600. With its plan for openings in 2023, it will see more stores opened than closed. The new stores will be designed like independent bookstores and will encourage customers to linger.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- The Best Books of April, According to Goodreads
- BOOK LOVERS by Emily Henry is Being Made Into a Movie!
- The Bestselling Books of the Week, According to All the Lists
- Manuscript Thief of 1,000 Unpublished Books Will Not Receive Prison Time
- 2023 NBCC Award Winners Announced
- Bridgerton Prequel Queen Charlotte Trailer Released