We Need Diverse Books (WNDB), a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting diversity in the world of children’s literature, is teaming up with others in the kidlit community to support LGBTQIA+ youth and their families.
With this latest fundraiser, WNDB is raising money to “share love and affirmation” with LGBTQIA+ kids and teens by sending book care packages to states like Texas and Florida to counteract discriminatory book censorships efforts.
By doing this, WNDB hopes that the book care packages “will help kids feel some of the love and respect they so deserve.”
Each care package will include:
- a book featuring LGBTQIA+ characters that has been chosen by the WNDB team
- other goodies like an encouraging note, a temporary tattoo, and a bookmark
If there is funding enough for other programs, WNDB plans to do a giveaway of LGBTQIA+ books to teachers and librarians, facilitate virtual author visits with LGBTQIA+ kidlit authors, and more.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- Colin Kaepernick Releasing YA Graphic Memoir
- These Are the States That Love Reading the Most
- Teens in Pennsylvania Created a Fundraiser to Counteract Book Banning
- 8 Year Old Published Book About How A Turtle Got Its Shell
- Percy Jackson Author Speaks Out Against Racist Complaints Over Casting
- A Pennsylvania School District’s Proposed Book Challenge Policy is Plagiarized From Texas’s
- The Winners of the 2022 Pulitzer Prize Have Been Announced
- Boston Public Library Is Now Hosting 1-Hour Wedding Ceremonies for $200
- Florida Public School Cancels Free Online Math and Reading Services Because of Bill