Our START HERE book project grew out of the recognition that every reader has one author–and in some cases, many authors–they haven’t read because they don’t know where to start. Some writers are so prolific, and the choices so overwhelming, that it can seem easier to not read them than to try to find a good point of entry. And sometimes, authors’ work is intimidating, and readers are just plain scared. It happens to the best of us.
START HERE will have 25 chapters, and each will provide a 3- or 4-book sequence for discovering a different author’s work. It’s important to us to cover a wide range of authors and meet as many readers’ requests as we can. We created an extensive longlist of authors for consideration, and here’s the awesome line-up we’ve guaranteed so far:
- Joe Hill will write a chapter about Bernard Malamud
- Erin Morgenstern will write a chapter about Neil Gaiman
- Linda Fairstein will write a chapter about Edgar Allan Poe
- Ron Charles will write a chapter about John Updike (per reader vote)
- There will be a chapter on Virginia Woolf from a celebrity author to be announced later this week
Start Here backers and Book Riot editors will determine how to fill most of the remaining spots, but you readers have total control over one. Vote in the poll below for the one author you most want to see covered in START HERE. The poll is open through 11:59 pm Eastern this Wednesday, August 22, 2012.
And remember–START HERE won’t happen unless we hit our $25K funding goal on Kickstarter. So back it, share it, and shout it out. We can’t do it without you![polldaddy poll=6474543]