Trade-Waiting: January 2016 Releases
One of the frustrating aspects of comics is release dates; they seem more like release guidelines than firm things you can depend on. Even just a couple of months out (or a couple of days) release dates can change. And let’s not even start on the difference between comic shop release dates and availability at bookstores (comics are usually available a couple of weeks later in the book market than in the comics market.)
All of that is to say that release dates for comics can be very difficult to track, and you can’t actually be sure a comic is coming out on schedule until it ships. We know that a lot of you are trade-waiters (nothing wrong with that!), but it can be so difficult to figure out what comes out when. We’re going to try to make that a little easier here at Panels by rounding up new trade releases from January. This isn’t comprehensive, just a snapshot of the series we love or are interested in trying out.
(If you’re taking this list to your bookstore or library, versus your comics shop, keep in mind some of these titles may not release until mid-February. Comics market versus book market is complicated, and I’m sorry.)
- Darth Vader, Vol. 2: The Shadows and Secrets – Kieron Gillen, Salvador Larroca, and Adi Granov (Marvel)
- Star Wars, Vol. 2: Showdown on the Smuggler’s Moon – Jason Aaron, Stuart Immonen, and Simone Bianchi (Marvel)
- Princeless: Raven, the Pirate Princess Book 1—Captain Raven and the All-Girl Pirate Crew by Jeremy Whitley and Rosy Higgins (Action Lab): We will read anything and everything Princeless at Panels.
- A Silent Voice, Vol. 5 – Yoshitoki Oima (Kodansha)
- Grayson, Vol. 2 – Tom King, Tim Seeley, and Mikel Janin (DC Comics): As a bonus, Vol. 1 is now available in paperback as well!
- Master Keaton, Vol. 5 – Naoki Urasawa, Takashi Nagasaki, and Hokusei Katsushika (Viz Media)
- Lazarus, Vol. 4: Poison – Greg Rucka, Owen Freeman, and Michael Lark (Image)
- Horimiya, Vol. 2 – HERO and Daisuke Hagiwara (Yen Press)
- Spider-Woman, Vol. 2: New Duds – Dennis Hopeless, Javier Rodriguez, and Natacha Bustos (Marvel)
- One-Punch Man, Vol. 4 – ONE (Viz Media)
One-volume trades and one-shots (no waiting for the next in the series!):
- Age of Reptiles: Ancient Egyptians – Richard Delgado (Dark Horse): This wordless comic series is a big hit with both dinosaur fans and reluctant readers.
- Midnight Society: The Black Lake – Drew Edward Johnson (Dark Horse)
- Star Wars: Lando – Charles Soule and Alex Maleev (Marvel)
- Groot by Jeff Loveness and Brian Kesinger (Marvel): I absolutely loved this series.
- Mean Girls Club – Ryan Heshka (Nobrow)
- Scarlett Couture – Des Taylor (Titan)
Expand your reading horizons:
- Yo-Kai Watch, Vol. 3 – Noriyuki Konishi (Viz Media)
- Holy F*cked, Vol. 1 – Nick Marino and Daniel Arruda Massa (Action Lab)
- Rasputin, Vol. 2 – Alex Grecian and Riley Rossmo (Image Comics)
- Mind Mgmt, Vol. 6: The Immortals – Matt Kindt (Dark Horse)
- Sex, Vol. 4: Daisy Chains – Joe Casey, Sonia Harris, Piotr Kowalksi (Image Comics)
- Dead Letters, Vol. 2 – Christopher Sebela and Chris Visions (BOOM! Studios)
- Letter 44, Vol. 3: Dark Matter – Charles Soule, Dan Jackson, and Alberto Alburquerque (Oni Press)
- Insufferable, Vol. 1 – Mark Waid and Peter Krause (IDW)
- orange: The Complete Collection, Vol. 1 – Ichigo Takano and Jason DeAngelis (Seven Seas)
Paperback rereleases, special editions, and newly collected:
- The Swords of Glass – Sylviane Corgiat and Laura Zuccheri (Humanoids): It’s been released in hardcover, now this Euro fantasy is in paperback!
- Revival, Deluxe Edition Vol. 3 – Tim Seeley and Mike Norton (Image Comics)
- Batgirl, Vol. 1: Silent Knight – Kelley Puckett, Scott Peterson, Damion Scott, and Robert Campanella (DC Comics)
- Archer and Armstrong, Deluxe Edition: Book 2 – Fred Van Lente, Ray Fawkes, Clayton Henry, Pere Perez, and Khari Evans (Valiant Comics)
- Thor, Vol. 1: Goddess of Thunder – Jason Aaron, Russell Dauterman, and Jorge Molina (Marvel): Yes, it’s out in paperback!
- Princeless Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1 – Jeremy Whitley and M. Goodwin (Action Lab): EVERYONE BUY IT IN HARDCOVER!
- Swords of Sorrow – Gail Simone, Mairghread Scott, Nancy A. Collins, J. Scott Campbell, and Various Artists (Dynamite): Now that Gail Simone’s run on Swords of Sorrow has come to an end, read the entire thing in one volume!
Did you find this new feature useful? Would you like to see it monthly? Let us know!