March 2, all across the country, schools, libraries, families, and individuals celebrate Read Across America Day. This program from the National Education Association encourages developing a passion for reading.
In an era of mass censorship, this year’s Read Across America Day takes on even more significance, and PFLAG — the largest organization for LGBTQ+ people, their families, friends, and allies — is encouraging those participating to also #ReadWithLove.
#ReadWithLove aims to highlight the power that reading a wide range of books has on helping children develop critical thinking skills. The campaign is rooted in love, tied with positive action, to support the freedom to learn for all students, no matter their race, genders, or zip code. By including more books in libraries, schools, and other places where readers have access to them, they’re better able to see the world as it truly is and make decisions for themselves. #ReadWithLove aims to empower readers, rather than take that power from them.
You can join in #ReadWithLove through following PFLAG’s campaign website; participating in their buy-a-book, donate-a-book project; donating to PFLAG; and, of course, sharing what you’re reading and loving across social media with the hashtag #ReadWithLove. Grab sharable social media icons through their image library and make it even simpler to boost the power of love and empowerment from reading.
Let’s #ReadWithLove together on this #ReadAcrossAmerica Day.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- The Best Audiobooks of 2023, According to AudioFile
- The Best-Selling Indie Books of the Year, According to Bookshop.org
- The 10 Best Books of 2023, According to the New York Times
- Most Parents Rank Librarians as Trustworthy in New Parental Perceptions of Librarians Survey
- The Bestselling Books of the Week, According to All the Lists
- The 2023 Booker Prize Winner Announced
- This is the Word of the Year, According to Merriam-Webster
- NPR’s Best Books of the Year
- Huge Libro.fm Audiobook Sale
- The 100 Notable Books of 2023, According to the New York Times