While Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson series was made into two movies in 2010 and 2013, the fans have been calling for a do-over ever since. They’re getting their wish in the new Disney+ series Percy Jackson and the Olympians. Today, Disney+ announced that have cast the three starring roles: Walker Scobell as Percy, Aryan Simhadri as Grover, and Leah Sava Jeffries as Annabeth.
The book series, inspired by Greek and Roman mythology and following young demigods, has been a massive success, beginning with the original 5 books and branching off into series with overlapping characters, including The Heroes of Olympus and The Trials of Apollo. They have made Riordan one of the biggest names in kidlit, and since then, he has not only written other popular series, but also started the Rick Riordan Presents line. Rick Riordan Presents features other authors writing books inspired by their own culture’s mythology, and they have also been extremely successful.
Fans will be eager to see how the beloved series translates into a TV show. The series will be directed by James Bobin, and the pilot was written by Rick Riordan and Jon Steinberg. Filming will begin soon in Vancouver, but there is no date yet for when it will start streaming.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- High School Activist Given PEN Award for Organizing Protests Against “Don’t Say Gay” Bill
- Party to Celebrate Bookstore Cat’s Retirement
- Here Are the Winners of the 57th Annual Nebula Awards
- 1600s Predicting the Existence of Aliens Found
- New Freckle Survey Shows Where Americans Get Their Books
- Colin Kaepernick Releasing YA Graphic Memoir
- These Are the States That Love Reading the Most
- Teens in Pennsylvania Created a Fundraiser to Counteract Book Banning
- 8 Year Old Published Book About How A Turtle Got Its Shell
- Percy Jackson Author Speaks Out Against Racist Complaints Over Casting