Kindred, written by MacArthur Fellow and award-winning author Octavia Butler, has been adapted into a drama series that will premiere exclusively on Hulu Tuesday, December 13.
Kindred was first published in 1979 and later adapted into a graphic novel in 2017. It follows Dana, a Black woman living in California in 1976. After celebrating her 26th birthday, she gets pulled back in time to antebellum Maryland. As soon as she saves a drowning white boy, a shotgun is pointed at her, but her life is saved by being transported back to the present day. She gets sent back in time repeatedly throughout the book, with each stay in the past getting longer and more dangerous.
The Hulu show stars Mallori Johnson, Micah Stock, Ryan Kwanten, Gayle Rankin, Austin smith, David Alexander Kaplan, Sophia Brown, and Sheria Irving. It was produced by FX productions.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- The Most Popular Audiobooks of 2023, According to Libro.fm
- The Best Reviewed Fiction of 2023
- Goodreads Staff Share Their Top Books of 2023
- This is the Word of the Year, According to Oxford
- The Best Fiction of 2023, According to the LA Times
- The Bestselling Books of the Week, According to All the Lists
- The 20 Best Books of the Year, According to Esquire
- The Best Audiobooks of 2023, According to AudioFile
- The Best-Selling Indie Books of the Year, According to Bookshop.org
- The 10 Best Books of 2023, According to the New York Times