In 2015, it was announced the Nimona by ND Stevenson would be adapted into a movie by Blue Sky. It was delayed multiple times, and the studio was acquired by Disney in 2019. Two years later, Disney shut down Blue Sky Studios and the project was cancelled after it was about 75% complete. Former Blue Sky employees spoke out about Disney pushing back against the same-sex kiss in the movie.
Now, Nimona is being adapted by a new team, Annapurna and Netflix, as an animated movie. It stars Chloë Grace Moretz as Nimona, Eugene Lee Yang as Ambrosius Goldenloin, and Riz Ahmed as Ballister Boldheart. It will come out some time in 2023.
Nimona follows the titular shapeshifting character as she becomes a sidekick to notorious villain Ballister Boldheart, only to find out that good and evil aren’t so easily delineated in their world.
Find out more about the Nimona movie at Deadline.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- Colin Kaepernick Releasing YA Graphic Memoir
- These Are the States That Love Reading the Most
- Teens in Pennsylvania Created a Fundraiser to Counteract Book Banning
- 8 Year Old Published Book About How A Turtle Got Its Shell
- Percy Jackson Author Speaks Out Against Racist Complaints Over Casting
- A Pennsylvania School District’s Proposed Book Challenge Policy is Plagiarized From Texas’s
- The Winners of the 2022 Pulitzer Prize Have Been Announced
- Boston Public Library Is Now Hosting 1-Hour Wedding Ceremonies for $200
- WNDB Campaign to Send Care Packages to LGBTQIA+ Kids and How You Can Help
- Florida Public School Cancels Free Online Math and Reading Services Because of Bill