The comic book market size increased by more than 60% between 2020 and 2021, which both DC and Marvel benefitted from. Marvel’s share of the market was 37% in 2021 and DC’s 27.1%— which included digital and print sales.
With this increase in sales and popularity, it follows that some of the comics companies’ major characters would also grow in popularity. When looking at each state’s favorites, Wisevoter found that Spider-Man was the most popular in 25 states, followed by Batman in 10, and Superman in four.
Click here for a full list of the top five superheroes for each state.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- The Best Audiobooks of 2023, According to AudioFile
- The Best-Selling Indie Books of the Year, According to Bookshop.org
- The 10 Best Books of 2023, According to the New York Times
- Most Parents Rank Librarians as Trustworthy in New Parental Perceptions of Librarians Survey
- The Bestselling Books of the Week, According to All the Lists
- The 2023 Booker Prize Winner Announced
- This is the Word of the Year, According to Merriam-Webster
- NPR’s Best Books of the Year
- Huge Libro.fm Audiobook Sale
- The 100 Notable Books of 2023, According to the New York Times