Nicole and Matthew discuss racial literacy and implementing an anti-biased/anti-racist framework in schools, with help from a bookshelf playlist of stories to keep folks talking. Joining is special guest Tiffany Jewell, a Black biracial writer, twin, first generation American, cisgender woman, an antiracist educator and consultant, mama, and author of This Book is Anti-Racist.
This episode is sponsored by:
To get even more kidlit news and recommendations, sign up for our The Kids Are All Right newsletter!
Tiffany Jewell (website)
Some Things Are Just For Us (article from Medium)
Racism Is Terrible. Blackness Is Not. (article from The Atlantic)
Lifting as We Climb: Black Women’s Battle for the Ballot Box by Evette Dionne
BOOKS DISCUSSED ON THE SHOW:
This Book Is Anti-Racist: 20 Lessons on How to Wake Up, Take Action, and Do The Work by Tiffany Jewell; illustrated by Aurelia Durand
Recommended podcasts and Podcasts Episodes:
Revisionist History (Epsiode – Miss Buchanan’s Period Of Adjustment)
Sporkful (Episode – When White People Say Plantation)
Unlocking Us (Episode – Brené with Ibram X. Kendi on How to Be an Antiracist)
WHERE TO FIND CHILDREN’S BOOKS DURING QUARANTINE
- Your local library – Even as libraries are closing for the quarantine, they have a ton of e-books, resources, and movies for kids.
- Epic! – Epic! is the Leading Digital Library for Kids 12 & Under
- Susan Tan’s Authors Everywhere YouTube channel
- How Kids’ Lit Is Responding to the Coronavirus
- Read, Wonder, and Learn – Favorite Authors & Illustrators Share Resources for Learning Anywhere
- COVID-19 Resources compiled by We Need Diverse Books
- Resources for Online PreK-12 Teaching During COVID and Beyond
- Little free libraries – There may be free books in a free library just around the corner from you. Give a book, get a book, and remember to wash those hands!
Let us know what books or topics you’ve been sharing this week, or if you have a suggestion or book recommendation for an upcoming episode. Find us on email (email@example.com) or Twitter (@MatthewWinner and @ittybittyny).