On Tuesday, hours after a draft was leaked detailing the Supreme Court’s desire to overturn Roe v. Wade come summer, venture capitalist and bestselling author of Hillbilly Elegy, J.D. Vance won the Ohio state Senate primary election.
Despite courting Trump fervently, former state treasurer Josh Mandel, former Ohio Republican Party Chair Jane Timken, and banker Mike Gibbons all lost out on an endorsement from the former president, and ultimately on the race.
Vance’s own endorsement from Donald Trump came only after the author took back earlier criticism, and after he was already behind in the polls. Many interpret Trump’s endorsement being able to bring Vance to victory in this race as an indication of his lasting popularity.
Vance will face off against Democrat Tim Ryan, who easily won his party’s nomination, in November.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- Canadian Right-Wing Book Banning Groups Don’t Know How School Boards Work
- Authors Who Made the Time100 Next List This Year
- Most Popular Comic Book Superhero by State
- The Bestselling Books of the Week, According to NYT, USA Today, Publishers Weekly, and Amazon
- City of Chicago and Chicago Public Library Declare Themselves Book Sanctuaries
- 5,100 Free Library Cards Issued by Brooklyn Library in Fight Against Book Banning
- Spotify Adds Audiobook Feature in U.S.
- 2022 National Book Award for Young People’s Literature Nominees Announced
- John Green’s First Novel May Be Banned At His Old School
- Kindle Unlimited + Amazon Prime’s Most Popular Summer Books 2022