Winter is coming. Or rather, fire. By way of dragons.
House of the Dragon is set hundreds of years before Game of Thrones, and follows the civl war the dragon-riding Targaryen family destroyed itself and Westeros with.
The trailer opens with Princess Rhaenrya Targaryen looking out as Corlys Velaryon, known as “The Sea Snake,” ponders “What is this brief, mortal life?… if not the pursuit of legacy?”
Leaders of the Houses Stark, Velaryon, and Baratheon are seen pledging their allegiance to Targaryen King Viserys and his named heir.
The only issue is that his heir is Princess Rhaenrya.
“Men would rather put the realm to torch,” Rhaenys Targaryen warns, ” than see a woman ascend the iron throne.”
And put it to torch they shall!
The show will air on HBO in all its dragon fire and blonde glory on August 21st.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- Here Are the Winners of the 57th Annual Nebula Awards
- 1600s Predicting the Existence of Aliens Found
- New Freckle Survey Shows Where Americans Get Their Books
- Colin Kaepernick Releasing YA Graphic Memoir
- These Are the States That Love Reading the Most
- Teens in Pennsylvania Created a Fundraiser to Counteract Book Banning
- 8 Year Old Published Book About How A Turtle Got Its Shell
- Percy Jackson Author Speaks Out Against Racist Complaints Over Casting
- A Pennsylvania School District’s Proposed Book Challenge Policy is Plagiarized From Texas’s
- The Winners of the 2022 Pulitzer Prize Have Been Announced