15 Giveaways and Discounts for Women in Translation Month
August is Women in Translation Month (#WiTMonth). Launched by literary blogger Meytal Radzinski, #WiTMonth is part celebration, part assessment of the ways in which women’s works are underrepresented in translation.
Now in its sixth year, #WiTMonth has blossomed. Dozens of bookshops, libraries, writers, critics, and publishers are taking part. Among other things, this has led to #WiTMonth discounts and giveaways.
These are a few.
1. Deep Vellum Press promises to gift “Deep Vellum titles to four lucky followers! Simply tag us in a post about which of these titles you’d like to receive. Winner announced August 31.”
The titles: Recitation, Blood Sisters, Sphinx, Eve Out of Her Ruins.
Enter at @DeepVellum.
2. Soft Skull Press writes: “We’re celebrating the start of #WITMonth with a giveaway on our IG of copies of The Lonesome Bodybuilder by Yukiko Motoya and Parade by Hiromi Kawakami. The latter isn’t even out yet!”
Enter at @softskull or through their Instagram.
3. ArabLit Quarterly is giving away copies of South Sudanese author Stella Gaitano’s short-story collection, Withered Flowers, in Arabic or in translation by Anthony Calderbank.
More information at ArabLit.
4. Translation and International Manager @EnglishPEN, Will Forrester, announced: “We’re giving away 3 bundles of 5 books in translation by womxn for #WITMonth – head over to Instagram to enter our giveaway!”
5. Irish writer Rónán Hession is offering his own generous #WiTMonth giveaway. He asks followers to: “1 Post a pic of your #WITMonth read in response to this tweet 2 Say a few words about it 3 Tag #WITMonth 4 Name the translator.”
He adds: “At end August I’ll buy a set of 2019 @CharcoPress books for one of you (value £50).”
6. Seven Stories Press is giving away three books by women: “To kick off #WITMonth, we’re giving away five bundles of some of our favorite works in translation: Assia Djebar’s ALGERIAN WHITE Annie Ernaux’s THE YEARS Guadalupe Nettel’s NATURAL HISTORIES.”
7. Rixdorf Editions promises: “We will send you a free PDF of our latest title, ‘The Nights of Tino of Baghdad’ by Else Lasker-Schüler (tr. James J. Conway), just for signing up to our mailing list.”
8. Scribe UK writes: “It’s #WITMonth and #TheEighthLife‘s release is just around the corner — so it’s time for a giveaway! Follow and RT this to win one of the last remaining proofs of Nino Haratischvili’s Georgian epic, translated by @cctranslates and @the_germanist — plus some bonus hot chocolate!”
9. Columbia University Press doesn’t specify exactly what they’ll be giving away, but they promise: “August is #WomenInTranslationMonth and the @ColumbiaUP blog will be celebrating all month with giveaways, excerpts, guests posts featuring the #RussianLibrary series, and more.”
1. Open Letter Books is offering a 40% discount on translated books by women during #WiTMonth. More here.
2. Blackwell’s Bradford is offering a very specific discount: “As August is Women in Translation Month, we’ve got a selection of great titles available with £2 OFF! #WITMonth (Offer only available in the @UniofBradford shop in the Richmond Building.) More here.
3. Brow Books is offering: “Special offer! For the month of August, aka #WITMonth, you can get 25% off any of these three books. Just use the discount code WITMONTH when going through the check-out for BRIGHT, and/or THE IMPOSSIBLE FAIRYTALE, and/or APPLE AND KNIFE.” More here.
4. Deep Vellum is also offering discounts, in addition to the giveaway listed above. More here.
5. Transit Books writes: “In celebration of Women in Translation Month, we highlight works on our list by women in translation, and ~ for the whole month of August ~ you can get 25% off with the discount code #WITMonth.” More here.
6. Poetry Book Society writes: “Follow us in August and celebrate Women in Translation Month! Take advantage of our special WIT 20% discount on our Translation Membership using the code WIT2019 on our website! Offer valid from today until 31/08.” More here.
There are likely more. Follow #WiTMonth for updates throughout the month.