Breaking this afternoon, Amazon announced plans to close all 68 of its physical stores, pop ups, and other shops carrying books, toys, and home goods. This applies to those both in the US and across the UK.
Amazon, which began with books, is choosing to pursue other offline ventures. They’re going to focus on opening more grocery retailers and develop a department store concept.
The physical stores for the giant retailer comprised only 3% of total revenue, primarily from their Whole Foods stores.
Amazon will announce dates the stores will close. Employees will be offered severance and/or assistance in finding positions at other Amazon physical locations in their communities (like their Fresh Stores). No details about the number of jobs being slashed were shared by the company.
Find more news and stories of interest from the book world in Breaking in Books.
Also In This Story Stream
- Teens in Pennsylvania Created a Fundraiser to Counteract Book Banning
- 8 Year Old Published Book About How A Turtle Got Its Shell
- Percy Jackson Author Speaks Out Against Racist Complaints Over Casting
- A Pennsylvania School District’s Proposed Book Challenge Policy is Plagiarized From Texas’s
- The Winners of the 2022 Pulitzer Prize Have Been Announced
- Boston Public Library Is Now Hosting 1-Hour Wedding Ceremonies for $200
- WNDB Campaign to Send Care Packages to LGBTQIA+ Kids and How You Can Help
- Florida Public School Cancels Free Online Math and Reading Services Because of Bill
- Meet the Stars of Percy Jackson and the Olympians on Disney+
- Here’s the New Trailer for Game of Thrones Spin-Off House of the Dragon