The popularity of Bookstagram, the book community on Instagram, is raging right now. Here’s the scoop on all the hottest bookish hashtags for your viewing pleasure.
- I thought #booksactually was a just clever play on the title of the movie Love Actually, but as it turns out the hashtag was inspired by a wicked awesome indie bookstore in Singapore. They even have their own documentary and an Instagram account you can follow.
- Some people do actually post beach reads under #readingforfun, but I found out it’s also a great hashtag for intellectual showoffs who want to brag about their reading conquests. Strangely enough, I also discovered snapshots of a few suspiciously racist titles such as Not a Genuine Black Man and White Girl Problems. Hmmm…
- #readingbuddy: the unofficial Instagram hashtag for posting photos of your adorable pet posing with a book. Prepare for cuteness overload.
- #dailybookpic is out of commission, but #estellagram, a daily photo challenge created by The Estella Society, has grown to take its place.
- Feeling compassionate? Take some time out of your day to pity the poor souls who post under #readingsucks. I saw a picture of an Ann Rinaldi book marked with this hashtag, had a flashback to my childhood, and almost started tearing up. #sosad
- #bookstagram is a real hashtag! It’s basically a mash-up of all things book-related—a lot of memes, quotes, and cool stuff like this bookish pendant necklace.
- Most of #bookfetish is just straight-up book cover/spine images, but thanks to a few hashtag literalists, I will never be able to watch a Jeremy Renner film again.
- Books on shelves, books on stairs, books in stacks, books in chairs, #booksonbooksonbooks.
- PSA: #readingissexy is not an Instagram tag. Someone needs to fix this now.
- Read in style with #readingglasses.
Other bookish hashtags worth checking out: #readingisawesome, #readingisawesometastic, #booktastic, #bookgasm, #bea13, #booksigning, #booksworthreading, #readinglist, #bookswag, #readingisfundamental, #readingrainbow
Sign up for our newsletter to have the best of Book Riot delivered straight to your inbox every two weeks. No spam. We promise.