Is there anything as satisfying as cleverly planned literary mash-ups? (Probably there is, but for the purposes of this post let’s go with “No.”) And I’m not talking about rewrites of classics with ninjas or zombies — I’m talking about dialogue swapping, pop-culture-referencing, literary homages. Like, for example, Slaughterhouse 90210 (the grand dame of the pop culture + lit scene). Tumblr is chockful of ’em, and they come in all shapes, all sizes, all variations of pop-culture reference, but here are eight of my absolute favorites.
2. Parks and Prejudice (Parks and Recreation + Pride and Prejudice)
4. Dough Country For Old Men (even though it hasn’t been updated in years)
5. A Storm of Swansons (can I help it if there are a lot of good Parks & Rec inspired ones? No I cannot.)
7. Saved by the Bell Hooks (my childhood & my feminism, all wrapped up together)
8. Bastardized Tolkien (Star Wars + Lord of the Rings)
There can never be enough! When you’re done laughing until you cry (or is that just me), please do tell me your favorites?