Whether you’re a writer (established, wanna be, or in-between), or a reader who loves to know more about the writing process, you’ll likely love these TinyLetters (and newsletters on other platforms) by writers for writers.
- The Check-In: Amy Spalding, author of The Reece Malcolm List, Kissing Ted Callahan, and the forthcoming Summer of Jordi Perez (among other swoony YA romantic comedies), writes directly about her own process, how fucking hard it can be to write, and how we can overcome obstacles that we put in our own way. She also brings in writer friends to talk about specific topics, and answers questions.
- How Do You Write?: Rachael Herron, author of several romance series including Darling Bay, and a memoir called My Life In Stitches, also has a podcast called “How Do You Write?” and hosts writing retreats in exciting places like Venice, Italy, sends a weekly email about writing, full of stories from her own life and valuable, no-nonsense advice.
- The Dirt: Jessica Abel, author of Out On The Wire and La Perdida, is a cartoonist and a writer, and her newsletter is full of ideas to jumpstart your creative process and help you take charge of your own creativity. There will be homework.
If you’re more interested in TinyLetters by authors that are aimed at readers, I’ve got you. These are my very favorites:
- Shaken & Stirred by Gwenda Bond: Gwenda writes about writing, about reading, about travel, and about her past life as an ace reporter (which she drew upon to write her popular Lois Lane series).
- QUEEN by Alexander Chee: Alex was the very first person whose TinyLetter I subscribed to. Begun (I believe) shortly before The Queen of the Night was released, it’s incredibly intimate, like letters meant just for one person (or perhaps even a diary), yet also totally accessible, like you are that one person.
- Regular Genius by Mensah Demery: This excellent letter combines life updates, writing process, and occasional secrets of Mensah’s excellent career as a Catapult editor.
What are your favorite TinyLetters?