Amanda and Jenn recommend beach reads, books to take camping, road trip audiobooks, and more.
1. Hello! First off – I am so in love with the Get Booked Podcast, I’ve learned so much more about the literary world all while doing my daily exercise!
My boyfriend and I take a road trip every year, this year we are spending 8 days camping and hiking in southern Utah and southern Colorado. We think it would be fun to read the same book while on the trip this year, to give us something mutual to do in the evenings and something stimulating to discuss while out on our daily hikes. The only issue is that we tend to vary quite a bit in what we read (with some similarities aka Ready Player One). I’m a voracious reader (50-90 books a year) and love “literary” fiction. John Steinbeck is my favorite author. I like a “slice of life” type story with a lot of character development and an atmospheric setting. My boyfriend on the other hand, while he enjoys reading, only gets around to about 5 or 6 books a year and he needs something with a plot, a story that grabs you and keeps your attention.
Can you help us??
2. I recently finished reading The Library at Mount Char and absolutely loved the fantasy, history and absolute wackiness of it. It was so fresh and unusual and it left me wanting more. Can you think of any books reminiscent of this one?
3. Hi Amanda and Jenn! I have a moderately urgent book recommendation need. My best friend Amelia and I are going on a weekend road trip as a seventh friendship-iversary of sorts on July 15th. We’re both big readers and would love to have an audiobook to listen to on the road. We want something on the short side if possible (maybe 8-10 hours ). If you could recommend something light, funny, and about amazing female friendships that would be great! Fiction or non-fiction welcome. We’ve read and loved Yes, Please and Is Everybody Hanging out Without Me? We’re also a bit on the needy side so we appreciate that.
Thanks so much for your help, I love your podcast and I’m so excited I finally have a request to send you!
4. I’m been listening for a year now, but finally have a reason to write in. #sostoked Anyway, I just found out that my work is sending me to Hawaii for 3 weeks in July/August. AMAZING! But, I’ll be out there solo for the majority of the time, so I’m looking for some great beach reads to keep me company.
I would like to keep the feels light and happy if possible, because I mean, I’m in Hawaii, and I don’t want to be depressed and crying while laying on a Hawaiian beach. Fiction or non-fiction, doesn’t matter to me. Also, if you can throw in a title or two with a little Hawaiian/Polyenesian cultural flair or history, I’d dig that!
5. Love your show and I was wondering if you could recommend some good summer reads for the beach. I have never vacationed at a beach and would love your input on what kinds of books would be good to read. I LOVE Terry Pratchett, The Martian and Douglas Adams. I love the tongue in cheek humor but also a underlying depth that they (sometimes) portray. Also if you have a favorite beach read that you think is awesome; I would love to hear it!
Thank you so much,
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey
Tigerman by Nick Harkaway
The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell
Lexicon by Max Barry
Smoke by Dan Vyleta
Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey
She Matters by Susanna Sonnenberg
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
Rich and Pretty by Rumaan Alam
Friendship by Emily Gould
Unfamiliar Fishes by Sarah Vowell
A Kiss at Midnight by Eloisa James
This Is Paradise by Kristiana Kahakauwila
The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde
Seating Arrangements by Maggie Shipstead
A Spy in the House by YS Lee
How to Live Safely in a Science Fictional Universe by Charles Yu
Cinder by Marissa Meyer