This post originally appeared on Panels, which is now Book Riot Comics
At Riot New Media Group, charity is built into the DNA of our company. We gift two percent of all revenue–no funny math, just 0.02 times our total revenue–to charity. Our leadership decided this prior to raising capital and well before we ever earned our first dollar. It’s in our business plan. We’re committed.
And we want you to be involved! In 2014, Book Riot readers chose Open Books as our charitable partner, and we’ve had a wonderful time working with them. Now it’s time to choose the next organization, which will receive 2% of our revenue during 2015. To nominate an organization, leave a comment that includes the organization’s name, URL, and Twitter handle (if it has one), along with one sentence explaining the organization’s mission. We will choose 5 finalists from the organizations nominated at both Book Riot and Panels and let our communities vote for the recipient.
To be eligible:
- The organization must have 501(c)3 status in the United States
- The organization must promote social justice. Preference will be given to organizations focused on literacy, health, gender or educational equity
- The organization may be religious, but its primary mission may not be proselytizing
- The organization’s constituency may be anywhere on the planet
- The organization must have a 3 star or better rating according to Charity Navigator
Please note that organizations may not receive the donation in two consecutive periods. This means Open Books is not eligible for nomination, but previous partners Housing Works, Reach Out and Read, and Girls Write Now are.
Nominations will be open through 11:59PM EST, Wednesday, February 11, 2015.