Here at Book Riot, we’ve built charity into our DNA. We gift two percent of all revenue–no funny math, just 0.02 times total revenue–to charity. Our leadership decided this prior to raising capital and well before we ever earned our first dollar. It’s in our business plan. We’re committed.
And we want you to be involved! In 2012, you chose Reach Out and Read as our charitable partner, and we’ve had a wonderful time working with them. Now it’s time to choose the next organization, which will receive 2% of our revenue during 2013. To nominate an organization, leave a comment that includes the organization’s name, URL, and Twitter handle (if it has one), along with one sentence explaining the organization’s mission. We will choose 5 finalists and let the Book Riot community vote for the recipient.
To be eligible:
- The organization must have 501(c)3 status in the United States
- The organization must promote social justice with a preference for organizations focused on literacy, health, gender or educational equity
- The organization may be religious, but its primary mission may not be proselytizing
- The organization’s constituency may be anywhere on the planet
- The organization must have a 3 star or better rating according to Charity Navigator
Please note that organizations may not receive the donation in two consecutive periods. This means Reach Out and Read is not eligible for nomination, but our 2011 partner Housing Works is.
Nominations will be open through 11:59PM EST, Sunday, January 20, 2013.
Voting will begin on Tuesday, January 22 and will continue through Tuesday, January 29, 2013 at 11:59PM EST.