Welcome to Name That Author!, a Name That Tune-style author-guessing game.
We start by giving you one clue, then one additional clue per hour through the afternoon. The first person to guess the author correctly wins a book of our choosing, and all other correct guessers will be entered into a drawing at the end of each month.
You can submit your guess using the form below after any clue, but if you’re wrong, you’re out for the week. So you’ve got to pick your spot. Too early and you might be wrong; wait until you’re sure, and you might get scooped.
**Be warned: if you Tweet your guess or leave a comment with your guess, you’re not only disqualified for this week, but for the rest of the month.**
Here we go:
1. I am widely considered one of the first masters of the short story.
2. I set fire to a batch of my manuscripts, including a second part t0 my most famous book, immediately became bedridden and then, nine days later, I died.
3. A character in a recent novel is given my last name, much to his chagrin.
4. In my most famous story, a certain body part detaches itself from its owner to go live a life of its own.
5. It has been said that most of Russian literature comes from my ‘overcoat.’
[contact-form-7 id=”4365″ title=”Name That Author!”]