We start by giving you one clue, then one additional clue per hour through the afternoon. The first person to guess the author correctly wins a book of our choosing, and all other correct guessers will be entered into a drawing at the end of each month.
You can submit your guess using the form below after any clue, but if you’re wrong, you’re out for the week. So you’ve got to pick your spot. Too early and you might be wrong; wait until you’re sure, and you might get scooped.
**Be warned: if you Tweet your guess or leave a comment with your guess, you’re not only disqualified for this week, but for the rest of the month.**
Here we go:
1. A New York publication ran the headline: [MY NAME] CRAZY.
2. One of my most famous books was unpublished until my granddaughter gave the manuscript to one of my biographers, some 30 years after my death.
3. My most famous novel, generally considered to be one of a handful of contenders for the title of Great American Novel, earned me less than $600 in my lifetime.
4. The intersection of Park Avenue and 26th Street in New York City is name after me. (I lived close by for awhile. Cheaper neighborhood back then).
5. I often said that my life only truly began the day I joined the crew of a whale-ship headed for Liverpool.
[contact-form-7 id=”4365″ title=”Name That Author!”]