Welcome to Name That Author!, a Name That Tune-style author-guessing game.
We start by giving you one clue, then one additional clue per hour through the afternoon. The first person to guess the author correctly wins a book of our choosing, and all other correct guessers will be entered into a drawing at the end of each month.
You can submit your guess using the form below after any clue, but if you’re wrong, you’re out for the week. So you’ve got to pick your spot. Too early and you might be wrong; wait until you’re sure, and you might get scooped.
**Be warned: if you Tweet your guess or leave a comment with your guess, you’re not only disqualified for this week, but for the rest of the month.**
Here are the clues:
1. I wrote poetry, though that’s not what I am remembered for.
2.One year, my hometown declared my birthday a school holiday and celebrated with a day of events around my life and work.
3. I mentored, and was later disowned by, a series of notable literary figures.
4. At least one other notable author was named after me.
5. I was friends with a major literary figure who drowned, and I dispatched another major literary figure to see if anything remains of their personal effects.
6. For a time, I required my son to read ten pages of Plutarch every weekend.
[contact-form-7 id=”4365″ title=”Name That Author!”]